Thursday, November 15, 2007

I DON'T NEED A RELEVANT CHURCH

Psalms 19:7-10 7 The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul; The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; 8 The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes; 9 The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether. 10 More to be desired are they than gold, Yea, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

The new buzz word in church growth and evangelism seems to be “Relevant Churches.” We are constantly trying to come up with a new program or gimmick to reach and retain potential members. The more I pondered this concept the more I realized I don’t want something that is “relevant” to the life I have carved out for myself. I want to act and think differently. I need to believe that there is a much greater hope beyond this miserable existence. I want Truth! Instead of making the Gospel relevant to my life, make my life relevant to the Gospel.

I have heard preachers make statements like: Jesus came to earth so He could know what we feel and go through or so he could relate to His creation. There is only one reason Jesus came to earth. Man had sinned, man had to die, God became a man so he could take the place of sinful man. John 3:16 doesn't say God so loved the world that he came so He could be more relevant. It says that He gave His only begotten son so we would not have to die but could have eternal life. The gospel transforms us into God's image. The Holy Spirit helps us to understand the Mind of Christ. We are to put off the old man and become a new creation in Christ Jesus.

I am convinced that a lost world doesn't want a church that is relevant; the next party or bar, latest thrill or movie relates to where they are in life. A lost world wants a church that tells them how they can be free from the chains of sin, experience joy unspeakable and lay down at night with a peace that passes all understanding.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! Be wary of the message - and its sender - that claims to be "relevant" to this world. The gospel is NOT relevant to this world. It is FOR us, but it is TRUTH. Becoming "relevant" is the new buzz word for trying to fill the seats in churches across the country. People may want gimmicks and attractions . . . that's why they fill their lives with what this world has to offer. Churches need instead to be REAL, not relevant. The truth makes us uncomfortable and the gospel is meant to offend. Whatever we would "like to believe" about God to make him relevant to us doesn't amount to a hill of beans. He is REAL, His sacrifice, faithfulness and unfailing love is REAL. Lord, help me to be REAL in my pursuit of you!