Monday, November 12, 2007

NOW THAT IT'S AUTUMN

In the northern half of the United States we have distinct seasons. Although living in paradise may sound inviting, I have to confess I would miss the changing seasons. Winters may seem long and cold but we have Spring that holds all the promises of new life. It is invigorating to see the first crocuses pushing through the chilly ground. The tender buds and tiny leaves on the trees hint at the shade they will provide during hot summer days. April showers…more clouds than sun… keep the winter coat out until May… still the anticipation of summer fun is always in the forefront. Summers, the lazy, hazy days of summer; picnics, vacations, weekends at the lake, warm sun, roses, outside grilling, Fourth of July; summer is full of fun, but oh so exhausting. The flip side of summer brings bugs, lawn mowing, weeding the garden, pruning the roses, sunburns, high gas prices, and rushing here and there to make sure you enjoy every moment of the short three month span.

Finally, summer fades into autumn. Autumn is my favorite season. The days are warm instead of hot, the bugs are at a minimum, the lawn needs mowing less often; it’s time to kick back and relax; really relax. The best thing about autumn is the beautiful colors. The trees and flowers are in all their glory; showing the whole world the fruit of their labor. It is as if they have worked all summer just for this season. There is nothing like walking through falling leaves, smelling the aroma of burning leaves, or jumping into a pile of neatly raked leaves. Autumn is all about comfort; sitting in front of a fire, eating crisp apples, drinking hot chocolate topped with marshmallows and filling our tummies with hearty soups. It generates thoughts of home and family, confidence and security.

Now that I am 50 and have stepped into the autumn, I can appreciate the slower pace of everyday life. I’ve learned to value and actually recognize a Kodak moment. Life isn’t about getting ahead or making a name for myself, it’s about enjoying all the blessings God has bestowed upon me after the long hot summer. I feel like the tree that stands outside my front window. It isn’t a very special tree, really. It has a spindly trunk and its branches aren’t spread out enough to give much shade on a sunny day. There is no fruit or nuts to be picked from this tree. It really isn’t good for much more than a sad decoration until autumn. Then it bursts into a beautiful flaming red. The flowers under the tree which appeared as weeds all summer suddenly blossom into a hundred small bursts of color.
It may not seem that I have accomplished much, though I have been working hard to grow during the spring and summer. Now it’s autumn! My leaves are glowing with beautiful colors as I settle into the plan God has kept just for me since the day I was born.
Thank you God for every season of my life. Sometimes I’ve been too busy or impatient to recognize what you had planned in the years ahead. Help me in this autumn season to shine for You, to use all the many lessons I’ve learned to encourage those still in the spring or summertime of life.

No comments: