Saturday, November 24, 2007

CHRISTMAS LIGHTS

DAY 7

Yesterday, my husband and I decorated the outside of our house for the Christmas season. I am a minimalist when it comes to outside decorating. Partly because I know how much Steve dreads this yearly event, partly because I get tired before my ideas run out, but mostly because I hate the obscene displays that some people put in front of their homes. I have a 4 ft. wreath decorated with pine cones, lights and a beautiful red bow mounted at the peak of the garage. Steve was so gracious when he had to get out the 20 ft. ladder to mount a higher hook, hang the heavy wreath and attaché the extension cord so it was tastefully out of sight. The porch railings are draped with evergreen (imitation, for the environment) roping, threaded with rope lights, the posts are wrapped in more greenery and tied with cheery red bows. I have a small Precious Moments nativity scene nestled in the landscape and a smaller wreath hanging on the front door. That’s it, that’s all!!! I couldn’t wait until nightfall. The switch was flipped and unlike National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, they all worked. It was a beautiful sight.

As mentioned above I hate the garish displays that some people cram onto their lawns. We have moved from millions of lights on every tree and bush, lighted sleighs with all the reindeer, plastic santas and snowmen to lighted wire trees, deer, or carolers. One homeowner in our lovely town has a large tractor tire buried on its side in his front yard. In the middle he has a lighted reindeer reaching for the sky. Last year he even had angels on each side of the tire serenading the deer. This of course inspired Steve to write the next great country song “Angel on the Tire.” Listen for it at the next CMA awards.

My personal outrage is the blow-up ornaments. These range from inflated teddy bears, snow globes with animated figures to Santa on a motorcycle. I actually heard a TV commentator call it “Yard Art.” While they may be fine as advertising at specialty shops or the mall, leave them there!!! Every time I pass a yard filled with these vinyl monstrosities, I have the urge to carry a sharp stick. Is there anything worse? YES!!!

What drives me to the brink? People who decorate their trees with Easter eggs, ghosts and pumpkins complete with pink and yellow lights in spring and orange lights in the fall. Is nothing sacred anymore? Leave the lights for Christmas!!! Tulips, lilies and daffodils are beautiful Easter decorations, fly your flag on the Fourth of July and if you must a jack-o-lantern or two on the porch for Halloween is enough.

I ‘m not sure the exact origin of decorating with lights inside and out. Some say it represents the star that guided the wisemen, others use them to guide Santa’s sleigh. I’m sure if I dig deep enough there is some pagan symbolism, but I love them because it makes everything so warm and inviting. They signify the beginning of a season in which we celebrate the occurrence of an event that would change the world.

On this last day of my week of thankfulness, I am thankful that I have eyes to see the beautiful holiday displays, yes; even the ugly, obscene vinyl globes which I’m sure are environmental hazards or at least hazards to my mental health. I am thankful that I have ears to hear Christmas music, praise and worship music, the old hymns and even country music. I am thankful I have legs and feet to walk through the leaves or wade through the snow. I am thankful I have hands and arms to hold a child or bestow a hug. I am thankful for every breath and every heartbeat. Most of all I am thankful that “God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love the blow-up christmas decorations-i have to disagree with you on that one.

Anonymous said...

Susan,
I'll try this again. I notice you already have one pro vote for an inflatable Christmas! ha! You knew you'd be stepping on someone's sacred cow (or reindeer, as it were...)
I like the picture of the Christmas tree which you added since this morning! Nice touch!
Suzanne