Thursday, November 29, 2007

THE OLD STORY

I love to tell the story
Of unseen things above
Of Jesus and His glory
Of Jesus and His love
I love to tell the story
Because I know 'tis true
It satisfies my longings
As nothing else can do

I love to read. I enjoy love stories, a good mystery, political intrigue fiction, inspirational and self-help books. Most of all I love the Word of God. As a Christian, I’m supposed to say that, right? I know it sounds trite, but every time I read a chapter, there is something new and exciting. In every verse God reveals a little bit more of himself.

Many may say that the Bible is not RELEVANT to their life. If you want to know how something is supposed to operate, you have to read the instruction manual. The Bible is life’s instruction manual, how can it not be relevant? Genealogy research is an increasingly popular hobby. My Bible tells me all about my Father, who he is, how he thinks and what inheritance he has provided for me. The Bible is full of action heroes, mysteries, thrillers, poetry, and love stories. It contains scientific knowledge, math problems, history, geography and even current events that were prophesied more than a thousand years ago.

I was so very grieved this week when I read an article by a former Pentecostal Preacher regarding his view of the Bible. He said while he believes there are many good things and principles to live by in the Bible, he no longer believes it is perfect, infallible and the inspired Word of God. He states it is merely a book written by men about God and contains many mistakes because it is the authors’ interpretation or view of things. This is how he is coming to terms with the sin in his life. If we can explain away truth by saying it is imperfect and subject to interpretation, then we can soothe our conscience when we choose to go our own way.

Last night, during the Republican Presidential Debates, a viewer asked the question, “Do you believe in the Bible, the whole Bible, that it is all true?” This proved to be a very uncomfortable topic for some of the candidates. They either did not want to offend those who do not believe or they are unsure of what they believe. Romney said he believes the Bible is the Word of God, absolutely. Huckabee, a minister, said he believes the Bible is the word of revelation to us from God himself. Thank God there are still some public officials who are not afraid to say “Yes, the Bible is true and the inspired Word of God.

Jesus said in Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. Of course if you don’t believe the Bible, you’ll just have to wait until Heaven and earth are gone and all that is left is the Word.
Pick up a Bible today, read it, love it, apply it to your life.

No comments: