Friday, August 23, 2019

LIVE PEACEABLY


PRAYER JOURNAL 8/20/2019

Romans 12:18 If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.

“As Christians, we should live in relationships with people in such a manner that even when we leave a room people will miss us. And when we are gone and our funeral is held, someone will cry...someone will deeply miss us.” (Balcony People, Joyce Landorf Heatherley)

A quote from my favorite book, “Balcony People,” reminded me of Romans 12:18 and then I had to take a time of introspection.  What am I doing to insure that I obey Romans 12 and will anyone besides Steve actually miss me when I’m gone?

OKAY…

I really am one of those weird people that thinks about her funeral.  Not in a morbid way but in a “practical” manner.  What will I wear?  Should I have really fabulous shoes and make sure my feet stick out?  Will my hair look good?  Will they put on too much makeup?  How much will all this cost; the Accountant in me kicks in and I determine that the cost far exceeds the satisfaction gained from a funeral, so…I have decided to forget it all, be cremated and have a memorial service of family and friends telling their favorite stories about me to each other; a minister reading my favorite Bible verses, a couple of Praise and Worship songs and a prayer…then dump the ashes because it is too weird to keep them on a mantle or in a closet or on a shelf in the garage.

BUT FOR NOW…

I want to live in such a manner that someone will actually COME to my Memorial Service or at least remember that I lived and maybe even miss me.

HOW CAN I ACCOMPLISH SUCH A MOMENTOUS TASK….

Start with Romans 12:18, live peaceably with all men (and women).  You may say, “read the first line of the verse, Paul is giving me a way out.  He said, “If it is possible,” and I am surrounded by folks that just don’t make it possible.”  Well, I have to, kind of, agree with you.  Some people make it practically an impossibility.  They don’t want peace and will do everything they can think of to insure that your peace is disturbed.

BUT…

The Apostle Paul did not give you a WAY OUT. Read the next line…AS MUCH AS DEPENDS ON YOU! 

The situation may not be very peaceful but YOU don’t have a right to contribute to the unrest. It takes two people to argue; two people to fight; two people to engage in a conflict…If reconciliation is impossible; WALK AWAY!

REMEMBER…

You are not only representing the Love of Jesus but you are ASSEMBLING THE GUEST LIST FOR YOUR MEMORIAL SERVICE!

HAVE A PEACEFUL DAY…IT REALLY DOES DEPEND ON YOU!

No comments: