Friday, August 23, 2019

GOD IS NOT LIKE YOU


PRAYER JOURNAL 8/17/19

Psalms 50:16-21 But to the wicked God says: “What right have you to declare My statutes, or take My covenant in your mouth, 17 Seeing you hate instruction And cast My words behind you? 18 When you saw a thief, you consented with him, and have been a partaker with adulterers. 19 You give your mouth to evil and your tongue frames deceit. 20 You sit and speak against your brother; you slander your own mother’s son. 21 THESE THINGS YOU HAVE DONE, AND I KEPT SILENT; YOU THOUGHT THAT I WAS ALTOGETHER LIKE YOU; BUT I WILL REBUKE YOU AND SET THEM IN ORDER BEFORE YOUR EYES.

I like to post encouraging thoughts because daily life in this world can be quit discouraging enough. Though this may not seem encouraging, when I read it this morning during my devotions, many things jumped out at me, especially verse 21.

We are living in a world where it is not considered “PC” to speak up when behaviors and laws are passed in direct violation of the Word of God. We are considered “haters,” judgmental, “out-of-touch,” homophobic and old fashioned.”

But before we speak too loudly, perhaps we should read Psalms 50:16-18 and examine our own heart and motives. Are we being obedient? Or are we picking the instructions that we like and casting the others aside? Have we consented with and become partakers of little “pet sins” while taking up our megaphone against those we find abhorrent? God says if we hate instruction that we do not even have the right to declare His statutes or partake in His covenant.

And what about speaking against our brothers and sisters in Christ? Sure, maybe they don’t do everything or understand everything in the pure, clear revelation that we have received but we are instructed to love and pray for them, not chew them up and regurgitate our “incredible insight” about them to everyone we meet.

Finally, verse 21 hit me between the eyes. God says, “Because I kept silent, you not only became self-righteous but thought “I was like you.” Instead of keeping our eyes on Jesus and striving to become more like Him, we have turned our eyes inward and made God into an image more like us. But God will not be conformed to your image. He calls all to repentance and says “I will set things in order before your eyes.”

As Romans 2:4 states, “It is the goodness of God that leads us to repentance.” I find it very encouraging to know that God loves me so much he would take the time to deal with my heart and bring me to repentance.

He is a GOOD GOD! I am so thankful that God points out our warts and blemishes through His Word and always gives us space to repent. This moment begins the rest of your life; live it in victory!

No comments: