Tuesday, January 15, 2008

AMERICAN POLITICS PART III


Today is the Michigan Primary. I will vote this evening for a Republican. For the first time during Primary season I am not excited or energized by any of the candidates. Most of their speeches start out in an upbeat fashion and I find myself pausing to consider, this may be the one. As the speech progresses, however, the “laundry list” is unfolded and once again all the candidates meld into one big “Sugar Daddy.” Now I believe that any Republican Candidate is better than the best Democrat because they have to hold to the Republican Platform on moral issues. When the laundry list comes out, however, the Republican list just happens to be a little smaller.

America has become a nation of wide–mouthed babies crying “Feed me, NOW!!!” The poll-savvy candidates pick up on this immediately and the laundry list grows longer. One candidate even had the audacity in a campaign ad to portray the list as beautifully wrapped Christmas presents. The usual gifts of universal health care and a clean environment were under the tree, but the one that set me back was Universal Pre-K. I sent one of my sons to preschool, on my dime, the other one was unable to attend. I found no difference in their education, ability to learn or progress in school. I think this is a veiled attempt to secure Universal Daycare which allows the government to have more say in the way we raise our children. If this is the road America is on, I would like to put in a couple of requests. Today we have about 3 inches of snow, I feel for all northern states there should be Universal Snow Shoveling. My dishes need to be washed and the dog shed on the carpet, I have a right to Universal House Cleaning. Why stop now, give me Universal Prepared Meals and Universal Clean Laundry.

We have also become a nation of victims. In the New Hampshire Primary, a candidate said something had to be done about Predatory student loan companies. I agree!!!! Why should my kids have to pay back student loans? I know we signed a promissory note, but they preyed on our emotional desire that our kids go to college and our lack of funds. After all, why should my kids get a job to help pay for their education? This could cause irreversible stress and anxiety problems. How dare Mastercard/Visa allow me to run up $40,000 in credit card debt. They should have realized I couldn’t afford all those things I just had to have right now. Why should I have to save my money and wait until I can pay cash? By then it won’t be the latest craze. Gas is too expensive to fill up my Hummer, Medicare rates are increasing, and I can hardly afford to eat and at the same time pay for my cell phone. Why should I have to choose?

Many candidates like to compare themselves to Ronald Reagan or John F. Kennedy. I still enjoy the inspirational speeches we heard from Reagan. He told us “we will have opportunities beyond anything we’ve ever known:” that we are a “Shining City on a Hill” and of course, “Mr. Gorbachev, Tear down that Wall.” It was also Reagan who said, “A baby is an alimentary canal with a loud voice at one end and no responsibility at the other” and “Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.” Perhaps he had a vision of America in 2008. Although I am not a fan of Kennedy, who can forget the line, “Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.”

Give me a candidate once again that believes in all the things that made America great. One that takes us back to the pioneering spirit of our founders and the values of hard work, personal responsibility and independence. If one exists and ever runs for office, I will run to the polls; I will fight the huge lines that will form, waiting for their chance to cast a vote.

I would like to end with another great quote by Ronald Reagan:
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

No comments: