Wednesday, October 31, 2007

AND TIME MARCHES ON

Time seemed to stand still. How time flies. These are statements we have all made sometime in our life. Both statements are so inaccurate since time can neither stand still nor fly. Time marches on one second at a time. Seconds disappear into minutes, minutes to hours, hours disappear into days, days to weeks and suddenly several years have passed. A more accurate statement is where has the time gone or what have I done with all the time I have had available?


All of this contemplation may have something to do with turning 50, but mostly it has to do with the fact that my son, Steven will be 30 years old on Sunday. Lying in bed last night I thought about how fast it seems the time has “flown.” I asked the question, “Why does it seem like time goes by faster the older you become.” My wonderful, matter-of-fact, common-sense husband replied with such a simple yet profound answer. The reason time seems to go by faster when you are older is because there is so much behind you, so much to look back on. Sometimes the profundity just flow from him. I think I’ll keep him another 31 years.

This weekend we will turn our clocks back 1 hour and change from daylight saving time to standard time. In reality, we are not turning back time or gaining an hour, we are merely changing our clocks. The truth is no matter how hard I try to hold back time, it marches on. A quote that some credit to Chaucer around 1390 says, “Time and Tide wait for no man.” This quote tells me I can’t control time (or tide). I must live my life within its bounds.

If we live to the ripe “old” age of 70 we will have had at our disposal approx. 25,567 days, 613,608 hours, 36,816,480 minutes. That is IF we live to be 70. God has the exact number of our days, hours and minutes in His hand from the minute of our birth.

Job 14:5 Seeing his days are determined, the number of his months are with thee, thou hast appointed his bounds that he cannot pass;


Lord, help me to be a good steward of the time you have set for my life, let me say like David: So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. Psalms 90:12

No comments: