Wednesday, October 17, 2007

MY OTHER MOM


My mother-in-law finished the race on Monday. She was 82 and had suffered with Alzheimer’s and cancer for a long time. This little lady left quite a legacy of 4 daughters, 1 son, 11 grandchildren, several great-grandchildren, and now great-great grandchildren.

My mind wandered back to the beginning of our relationship. I met her in church and knew her then as “Sister Edna.” After that, I was never sure what to call her, Mom, Steve’s Mom, Sister Edna? Most of the time I just started the conversation without a title. Back to the beginning, she knew immediately I had my eye on her son. Within a year, she had welcomed me into her heart and her home, although I had claimed her baby boy as my husband. How she must have struggled to love the immature, know-it-all, eighteen year old I was at that time. I remember being upset because she dared to suggest that my husband liked a LOT of ice in his glass; or being impatient because she dared to suggest my babies had a tummy ache whenever they cried.

My boys loved to go to Grandma's house. She fed them "weenies"; all they got at home were hot dogs. They both went to college with the quilts that Grandma had made for their beds.

As the years progressed, I learned to appreciate her wisdom. After she moved to Missouri, I would get up early and have a cup of coffee with her. I loved those one on one times when she would tell me stories of her childhood; stories about her brothers and sisters, mom and dad, her kids when they were little and how good God had been to her over the years. Once she tried to teach me to crochet. That must have been a real trial for her, but fortunately, I gave up after a couple of lessons. I learned to make brown gravy, but never tried to copy her chicken and “dumplins”, because there was no equal. Every night for over 15 years, I have slept under a quilt she made for my bed and decorated my house with dolls, she had finished with her hands. Of course the most precious gift she gave me was over 31 years ago, her son, my husband

Edna never graduated from school and could not read very well. There were times we all laughed at the way certain words were said, yet, she loved the Word of God. At night she would listen to the Bible on tape as she fell asleep. Her steps had become slow over the last few years but her faith had remained steady. On Monday morning, she crossed the finish line and attained the prize. She stepped out of this wasted, broken earthly vessel into the arms of the Savior for eternity.

Take a rest now Mom, you won’t be without us for long. Very soon the trumpet will sound and we will meet you in the air. What a celebration that will be. By the way, how about some chicken and “dumplins” and caramel pie at the marriage supper?

Love you and see you soon,

Your Daughter-in-law
Susan

No comments: