Friday, February 29, 2008

LEAP DAY


How many times have you said, “If I only had another day” or “I wish there were more hours in the day?” TODAY IS YOUR DAY!!! Today you have been blessed with an extra day. According to the calendar, it is February 29. Every four years, an extra day is added to the end of February to balance the earth’s rotation around the sun with the number of days in a year.

You may say it’s just another Friday or who cares if it is February 29 or March 1. Ask the person born on this day who only gets to celebrate his birthday every four years. Ask the computer programmer who has to make sure the banks don’t forget to give you an extra day of interest. Ask the politicians running for presidency who can only get elected during a leap year. As for me, I get a Friday every week and a March 1st every year, but every four years I am blessed with an extra day and the privilege to spend it any way I choose. I can sleep late, read an extra chapter of a book, go shopping, visit with loved ones, show kindness to a neighbor or complain about the snow, hate my job, wish I was anybody but me. It’s my extra day!!!!

Job 14:5 says, “Seeing his days are determined, the number of his months are with thee, thou has appointed his bounds that he cannot pass.” I am reminded that I have only a limited number of days to cram in everything that I want to accomplish and experience. How I value my time on earth will determine how they are spent. As David said in Psalms 90: 12, “So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.”

Thank you Lord for including another February 29 when you determined my days. Thank you for the opportunity to spend a few moments in a snowy parking lot sharing a conversation and a smile with a complete stranger. Thank you for reminding me that every minute is valuable and there is eternal significance in the way I choose to spend them. Finally, God, “Help me to count the days and make the days count.”

No comments: