Saturday, March 1, 2008

SHAKIN' 'N BAKIN'

I have survived 8 weeks; count them, 8 WEEKS, of healthy living. Actually surviving is understating my experience, the correct word is LIVING. I feel better, more energetic, more creative in the kitchen and for a pleasant side effect, my clothes are lying flatter. Actually, I have been able to fit into clothes that have been in my closet for a couple of years. One item still had the tags attached. Speaking of closets, I could open my own boutique. I have clothing in seven different sizes. Steve is thrilled at all the money he will save over the next few years as I go shopping in my own closet. Of course what he has forgotten is shoes cost money too and my foot has been and remains a size 8. My “new” wardrobe must be accessorized properly.

Speaking of creativity in the kitchen, I love finding ways to modify our favorite foods, creating new reduced fat, reduced calorie recipes. There are so many great healthy alternatives available now that changing your eating habits can no longer be called a diet. Many times I use common ingredients but eliminate butter or margarine. Remember Shake N Bake? When Steve and I were first married, I remember using the coating mix for pork chops. As my expertise in the kitchen increased, Shake ‘N Bake went by the wayside. This week I resurrected the spicy mix for a wonderful meal. Prepare your taste buds for a delightful experience.

Chicken Parmesan

4 skinless/ boneless chicken breasts 720 calories 16 ww pts
½ cup Spaghetti Sauce 90 calories 2 ww pts
½ cup Fat Free Mozzarella Cheese 90 calories 2 ww pts
1 pkg parmesan Shake ‘N Bake 280 calories 6 ww pts

Preheat oven 400 degrees. Coat 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray. Shake 1 chicken breast at a time in bag with coating mix and arrange in a single layer in pan. Bake uncovered 30 minutes. Divide spaghetti sauce evenly over coated chicken breasts, top with ff mozzarella cheese, cook an additional 10 minutes.

Total recipe 1180 calories 26 weight watcher points
Serves 4, per serving 295 calories 6.5 weight watcher points

Serve with large salad and steamed broccoli or other lo cal vegetables. Serve over ½ cup whole wheat pasta and ¼ cup of spaghetti sauce for an additional 135 calories and 2 pts.

Let’s get shakin’ N bakin’; your lips and hips will thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Susan, Oh I love Chicken Parmesan. But the shake n bake is a good idea. I will definitely try it. Thanks! Connie