Monday, December 10, 2007

NO FEAR

Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus, just to take Him at His Word.
Just to rest upon His promise, just to know thus saith the Lord.
Jesus, Jesus how I trust Him, how I’ve proved him o’er and o’er


With all of the events that have transpired over the last week, it is easy to let fear become an overriding force in your life. Thursday, a young man “snapped,” walked into a mall in Omaha and killed 8 people, then committed suicide. Thursday, in New York, a group of young women attacked a man for stepping on a foot. Early Sunday morning a man killed two young people at a mission training center in Arvada, Colorado. Sunday afternoon, a man killed two people in a church parking lot in Colorado Springs and was subsequently killed by a security guard. A woman was found trying to get into Disney Land with a loaded gun. Except for the incidence in New York, all of these events happened in “safe” Middle America in “safe” places.

This afternoon, I volunteered to sit at the mall and collect money for the Rescue Mission. I had to fight a spirit of fear like everyone else. Yes, I am a Child of God. Yes, I know my life is in God’s Hand. Still, I don’t want to die today. This morning I conducted chapel at the Rescue Mission. My subject? You guessed it; Fear.

There were a myriad of different fears discussed. Fear of flying, fear of car accidents, panic attacks, fear of getting shot, fear of dying in general. Luke 21:25 says there will be a time when men’s hearts will fail them for fear; but instead of losing hope, we should look up for our Redemption draweth nigh. I am so thankful God’s Word addresses every situation in our lives and we can rest in His promises. This is what the Bible has to say about fear:
Psalms 23:4
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me


Psalms 27:1
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Psalms 56:4
In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me

Psalms 118:6
The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?

Matthew 10:31
Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.

Luke 12:7
But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.

II Timothy 1:7
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind

I John 4:18
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
Tonight I place my life and my trust in you as I rest in your perfect love.

No comments: