Wednesday, June 12, 2019

THE EXPECTATION CALL

PRAYER JOURNAL 6/12/19

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Recently, Jonathan Morris, a popular, beloved Catholic Priest from New York was interviewed regarding his decision to leave the priesthood.  He said that even in Seminary, he felt this was not what God wanted him to do, but he didn’t want to disappoint and let everyone down…he stayed because of EXPECTATIONS.

Later, before his ordination, after sinning, he wrote a letter to his superiors, confessing and begging to be allowed to leave.  The men over his order told him, “forget about it; it didn’t happen” and he stayed because of EXPECTATIONS.

Finally, at 47, although he loved ministry, he could no longer stay in a calling that God never placed him in merely because of the EXPECTATIONS of friends, family and overseers.

How many of us have stayed in a calling that was placed on us by someone other than God because of EXPECTATIONS?

I HAVE….

I knew this was not where God had called me; this was not one of the gifts He had placed inside of me but I WAS EXPECTED to serve in this capacity.  I didn’t want to disappoint; I didn’t want people to think I wasn’t the example of a “good Christian;” and I was riddled with guilt and resentment.  I dreaded every Sunday because of what was expected.  I didn’t put much time into preparation because I hated what I was doing.  Waking up sick was a blessing because it meant I had an excuse to stay home and not perform…

THAT IS NOT SERVING GOD; IT IS LIVING IN CONDEMNATION.

At a conference, the preacher told a story about a miraculous “raising from the dead” experience and he asked, “If you would like to go to that level in the Spirit, stand to your feet.  Now, I’m not asking everyone to stand, just those who really want to be used in this way.  Don’t just stand because you feel it is EXPECTED and everyone around you is standing; stand only if you really feel it.”

THEN TO FROST THE CAKE WITH A LITTLE GUILT….

He continued, “For you who are still seated, ask yourself… “Why don’t I want to be used by the Spirit?  “What is keeping me from desiring to go deeper in God?”  “Wouldn’t I want some poor drug addict to live again?”

TALK ABOUT A CONDEMNATION SANDWICH!

And most of the audience rose to their feet…wouldn’t you?  I mean do you want to be the one who doesn’t care; do you want everyone to think that you are happy with just a shallow, surface relationship with God?

Turning 60 has its benefits…I have determined that the ONLY EXPECTATIONS I will live up to, from now on, are the EXPECTATIONS spoken to me by God, in prayer.  I will not raise my hand and agree to perform just because the Pastor asked the audience and I don’t want everyone to think I don’t care.  I will no longer pretend to be called to do a ministry in which God has not placed me.  I will no longer participate out of GUILT AND CONDEMNATION! 

Answering an EXPECTATION CALL blocks the work God desires to do through you.  It wastes the gifts that God has placed in you.  AND…the guilt, condemnation and resentment will only produce rotten, wormy fruit.

It’ll take a LOT OF PRAYER; it may mean pushing away from the table and FASTING a few days; you will have to SEEK GOD and LISTEN to His voice but…OH THE JOY of following the leading of the Spirit and losing the condemnation of following the flesh.

No comments: