Thursday, March 26, 2015

SOUL WINNING; IT AIN’T YOUR MOMMA’S DOOR KNOCKIN’

Proverbs 11:30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life and he who wins souls is wise.

I was raised in a Pentecostal church that strongly believed and taught that we were to be “soul-winners.”  I’m not sure if the leaders had a difficult time getting the “nuts and bolts” message across to us, of what it meant and how to accomplish the mission or if I just didn’t “get it.”  From my observations over the years, it would seem that a lot of people in these congregations didn’t “get it,” either. 

The definition of soul-winning became, GET THEM!  “Invite someone to church or teach a Bible Study to them and GET THEM to church.  Whatever you do, the goal is GET THEM TO CHURCH!  Once they come to church, GET THEM TO THE ALTAR so they can repent.  Then, GET THEM TO THE BAPTISMAL TANK, so they can have their sins washed away.  Next, GET THEM BACK TO THE ALTAR and pray with them until they are filled with the Holy Ghost.  
Then FOR GET THEM!” 

 I spent many years dreading the frequent “door knocking,” struggled with ways to broach the subject of salvation with the “heathen,” and lived with the guilt-ridden worry that there would be “no stars in my crown.”  That all changed on November 7, 2009.

Steve and I had moved into our new home in 2005.  Most of the residents of the neighborhood worked during the day, so for the most part the “friendships” included a hello and a wave as we walked or drove down the street.  Once in a while, we would pause to talk to the next door neighbors as we planted flowers or mowed the lawn, there were even times that I stopped at a garage sale and introduced myself to a neighbor down the street, but my friendship with the couple directly across the street consisted of a casual meeting at the mailbox, a “how are you, today,” and a smile.  On November 7, 2009, my neighbor needed me, she ran screaming for help into the yard, my door was open but I never heard her.  The ambulance came then left, the police arrived and then the County Coroner and the hearse; her husband had passed away suddenly and I finally knocked on Sharon’s door.

Sharon fell into my arms, weeping and saying, “I screamed for help, your door was open but you didn’t respond.”  I felt as if someone had landed a fist in the middle of my stomach, it was all true, my door was open but I was so preoccupied that I had not heard her screams.  Compassion overwhelmed me and in the next few days, I took over dinner to the family, set up, served and cleaned up after the funeral gathering.  Over the next several months, I became a close friend to Sharon, going over to check on her, visiting her in the hospital and bringing her home from the hospital.  She gave me cooking tips and I gave her birthday flowers.  One day as we visited, Steve said, “Sharon, I would love to give you a Bible Study.”  She replied, “I would like that.”  So once a week, for the next 3 months, Sharon and her daughter in law sat with Steve and I as we shared the Word of God; God’s love for us and his plan to save us.

I would like to say that Sharon came to church with me, got baptized, filled with the Holy Ghost and brought in her whole family, but that is not what happened.  I do remember the day, however, that Sharon showed me her new study Bible and how excited she was to tell us that she had begun to attend Sunday service at a local church.  Somehow, I prayed I had made a difference by showing her God’s love.

We moved to Tennessee in August, 2010 but I still kept in touch with a Christmas Card, a birthday card or a quick visit if we were in town.  I thought about Sharon often in the last 4 years and wondered if anything we said or taught in our Bible Study got into her heart.  Had it turned her eyes toward Jesus; did she think about preparing for eternity; had anything in her life changed?

Yesterday, 5 1/2 years after a Saturday in November that changed both of our lives, I attended Sharon’s funeral.  The usual scriptures were read, there was a prayer and a hymn, then the Minister read a letter written by Sharon to be read at her death.  It talked about how much she loved her family, especially her granddaughter, great-grandson and daughter-in-law (her son had died several years earlier).  She named several friends and family that had a special place in her heart and then she told them of her love for God, how important it was that they keep God close in their life and go to church.  Tears filled my eyes and I prayed that I had made a difference by showing her God’s love.

I learned so many things on November 7, 2009 but the most important thing I learned is “Soul-winning is about LOVING PEOPLE.”  It isn’t about knocking on a door, handing or voicing an invitation to church, winning the “most visitors” contest or counting the “stars in your crown.” I am convinced that we would have never taught Sharon a Bible Study if I had not first become her friend.

My youngest son, Phil, after the police returned his stolen lawn mower, found the man who had stolen it, gave him the lawn mower and hired him to mow his lawn…He who wins souls is wise. 

My son, Steven, said recently, after paying a water bill for someone in need, “How do you put a value on a soul?”

Is a soul worth a few hours a week of your time?  Can you spare a few dollars or even a hundred to supply a need so that you can reach a heart?  Are there times your door is open but you are too busy to hear the screams?  What are you willing to do or to give to win a soul? 

SOUL WINNING; IT AIN’T YOUR MOMMA’S DOOR KNOCKING!

No comments: