Tuesday, May 6, 2014

IT WAS ENOUGH TO BE YOUR MOM


I wrote this blog in 2011and it remains one of my favorite.  To all of the young mothers that feel like pulling your hair out some days, pray you’ll get through the potty-training stage and past the “terrible-twos,” you will.  One day you will wake up and those sweet little darlings pulling at your skirt will be your grandbabies and you will be so proud and thankful that you were called to the most important job on earth…being a Mom.

It is no secret that I am a Facebook junkie.  I love keeping up-to-date with friends and family.  One of the things that I have avoided getting involved in is the “Mass Group Posts.”  To me they are similar to the old “chain letters.”  Some even go as far to tell me if I don’t post a certain paragraph, I am denying Christ before the world.  Never mind the life I live, it’s all about posting a specific saying.  A couple of weeks ago, this particular post caught my eye:I work 24/7. I'm a MOMMY, I'm a cook, a cleaner, a parent, a teacher, a referee, a nanny, a nurse, a handyman, a maid, a shrink, security & a comforter. I don't get holidays, sick pay, or A DAY off. I work through the day & some of the night, on call at ALL hours. I'm underpaid & overworked. Now tell me that YOUR job is harder than mine! Repost this if you're a great mommy ♥.”  I did not repost the item but I couldn’t resist commenting.
I was a full time mommy for 20 years, I never considered myself underpaid. OVERWORKED? Maybe, but I just didn’t consider it in monetary terms.  You see, to me, Motherhood was NOT a JOB but a CALLING which I chose to follow. Although this calling did not bring great wealth, it was not without great reward.   I will never forget the feel of little arms around my neck and the sound of a tiny voice saying, “Mommy I “wuv” you.  What mother hasn’t paused for a few moments just to watch her babies sleeping like angels and wishing she hadn’t said “not right now” so many times that day.  There is nothing like seeing 2 little shining faces emerge after a warm bath, snuggling with them in their cozy “jammies” and inhaling that soft baby smell.  As they grew older, I loved listening to their funny adventures, discovering the world through their fresh eyes and guiding them through the “teenage jungle.”  I have enjoyed being a Mom in every stage of their life. As far as overworked, that is what I bought into when I chose to have kids.  They have been worth every sleepless night, every hour lost, and every dollar that I could have been spending on myself.

I know how Mary must have felt when she held Jesus in her arms for the first time.  I’ve experienced the overwhelming love that pours from your heart as you rock the tiny helpless little baby. But, did she feel “used” when she knelt at the cross?  Did she feel underpaid and overworked when she came to the end of the road with her son?  Did Mary complain, “I cooked, cleaned, taught you, dried your tears, washed your clothes, was always there for you and this is the reward I get?”  Luke 2:19 tells us, “But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart.” Perhaps at the end she reached into her heart for all the sweet memories and murmured through her tears, “It was enough just to be your mom.”
Yes, there were times I was privileged to teach them new things, referee their disagreements, bandage skinned knees, and provide clean clothes and delicious meals.  I’m thankful they trusted me enough to take my counsel instead of learning life’s lessons on the playground and that they knew their home was a safe place where they could always be comforted.  Being an important part of my sons’ lives as they grew to be men who love God, love their families and still love their mom has been all the pay I required. Steven and Philip, it was enough just to be your mom.

No comments: