Thursday, February 3, 2011

I, PRIDE, MYSELF

While listening to a sermon audio of a recent conference, I heard one of the speakers make the following statement, “I pride myself in usually knowing what to do.” What was it about this statement that just didn’t seem quite right? Three words, Pride sandwiched between I and Myself.


The dictionary defines pride as, “high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority.” Is God concerned with pride? Oh, yes! The word, “Pride,” is found 46 times in the KJ version of the Bible. We can all quote Proverbs 16:18, “Pride goeth before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall.” Romans 1 goes even further and lists pride as a sin worthy of death, right beside fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness, envy, murder, backbiters, and haters of God. Whoa, pride the same as a hater of God? What’s wrong with having a little pride? Can’t I take pride in my appearance, my accomplishments, things I’ve worked hard for and earned? Look closely at your questions, pride cannot be mentioned without using the word I, my, me, myself or mine. Herein lies the problem with pride, one of the attributes God hates. Pride omits God from our accomplishments, who we are and with what we have been blessed. All glory belongs to God and He will NOT share it with anyone even you or me.

In the Bible we find an account of Saul, Israel’s first king. Saul’s humbleness was apparent when Samuel first spoke with him. Saul reminded Samuel that he was a Benjamite, from the smallest tribe of Israel and when the time came for him to be anointed king, he went and hid. Let’s jump ahead a few years; what a change. Saul began to believe his "own press;" power and position now defined him. Eventually pride totally consumed him and we read the sad conclusion in 1 Samuel 15:17, “And Samuel said, When thou was little in thine own sight, was thou not made the head of the tribes of Israel, and the Lord anointed thee king over Israel?” Verse 23, “Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king.” Pride cost King Saul his favor with God, his peace of mind, his kingdom and finally his life. What a high price to pay for “myself,” “I will,” and “my way.”

Mankind has had a problem with pride since he listened to the serpent in the garden. I have never met a person who does not struggle daily with pride. My personal war with pride always ends with a fall; either I fall on my knees or I fall on my face. I have found it to be a softer landing when I fall on my knees and let God strip my pride away. As His face comes into view and I allow His will to replace my plans, my accomplishments and my desires, I realize that I am nothing without God. “Dear God, I need your grace to help me to never again “pride myself” in anything but in all my ways acknowledge You.”

No comments: