Tuesday, January 11, 2011

GIVE ME JESUS AND STARBUCKS AND......

When I was in college, I had to take a 300 level management class. One of the few things I remember from this class is the importance of a mission statement to an organization. It defines who you are as an organization, your philosophy, your goals and your targeted market. By having a written definition of your organization, management is able to narrow its focus to those things that will fulfill the organization’s goals and ultimate success. Many organizations have failed not because of bad ideas or personnel but because in neglecting to define goals their focus became too broad. I worked for an investor who became wealthy by purchasing distressed rental properties at a low price. This worked for him for several years until he decided to branch out into the hospitality industry. His focus changed and the new ventures became a drain on his proven companies. He eventually divested himself of the losing properties and regained his focus after learning a painful lesson.


Having been raised in dynamic churches, I have had wonderful examples in all areas of ministry. God has placed beautiful, dedicated pastor’s wives, Sunday school teachers, worship leaders, counselors, prayer warriors and people with other callings in my life. I have learned valuable lessons from each and many I have tried to emulate in the callings that God placed in my heart. As a young person, I found myself longing to be used in a specific ministry because the people involved seemed to be so happy, so loved and so blessed. Other times I have gotten involved in certain ministries only to find myself discouraged and frustrated. After many years of “spinning my wheels,” I finally realized that God would lead me into the perfect ministry He had planned for my talents and personality. Once I developed a “Mission Statement” based on God’s plan for me, I found joy in serving and spiritual fulfillment. I was able to pray for others to be used in their call without longing or jealousy at their success.

A few years ago, a man came to start a church in the town in which we were living. He came full of zeal, with a plan and a time frame. To his dismay, his plan included a Starbucks and our town didn’t have a Starbucks. Then he found out it also didn’t have a specific donut or ice cream shop. He continued for a few years but was never able to focus his vision on a strategy that would fit the field he had chosen for his labor. After a time of frustration, he left to fulfill another dream as a manager of a Starbucks. It doesn’t matter whether you work at Starbucks, a Fortune 500 company or are in full-time ministry, let the call of God not your place of employment define your ministry.

If God has placed a burden on your heart ask God to show you where to start. If it is sharing the gospel with hungry hearts, don’t get hung up on the brand of coffee you want to serve, the style of music you envision playing or the fact that you don’t have the personnel for multiple programs. If God wants you to write, don’t worry about who will publish your book, God will open that door. If you have a desire to speak, find a volunteer opportunity that will get you few pats on the back and little applause. In due season, God will reward your efforts and provide the stage. If you will keep your focus on developing a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ, all these “things” will fall into place. Remember, you and Jesus are a majority and He can accomplish His will through you without a Starbucks, a magnificent building or flashing lights. Just give me Jesus!

No comments: