Wednesday, September 5, 2012

SOMEDAY I WANT TO BE A DOORKEEPER?



 

Psalms 84:10  For a day in your courts is better than a thousand.  I would rather be a DOORKEEPER in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness.

Someday, I want to be a teacher, a nurse, a policeman, a fireman, a librarian and even a garbage man because they get to ride on the side of the truck and jump off.  We all had dreams of what we wanted to be when we “grew up.”  These aspirations were triggered at various times by the heroes that moved in and out of our life.  It seemed like a lot of fun to write on a chalkboard or weigh people at the doctor’s office and what child didn’t want to zoom around in a police car or fire truck with lights blazing and sirens blaring.  I loved to read and organize, so the librarian’s job seemed to be the ultimate; I could alphabetize all the books and choose the newest ones to take home every night.  Of all the different dreams from Astronaut to Zookeeper, I have to confess, not one time did I ever hear anyone say, “I want to be a Doorkeeper!”  Now maybe, if I had lived in a New York City co-op, that would have been my dream but I can’t imagine wanting to stand and open doors for people all day long.
Having been raised in a Pentecostal Church, I was exposed to so many wonderful men and women of God who cheerfully contributed their gifts and talents to building the Kingdom.  They inspired some of the “when I grow up” dreams of my childhood. 

In the late 1960’s, I definitely wanted to be an evangelist’s wife.  They got to travel, wear clothes and shoes that were perfectly matched and sang while playing the accordion.  My little girlfriends and I would sit on the pew, tuck our skirts tightly under our legs to mimic the pencil skirts and open the hymnal, pretending it was an accordion as we worshiped.  My husband and I did travel around and preach for a year but, alas, my clothes were nowhere near perfectly matched, the travel was exhausting and accordions had been traded in for keyboards. 

I wanted to be a preacher so I could baptize the newly repented, the choir leader because they got to sing all the good parts, an usher walking up and down the aisles gathering money and a Sunday School Teacher that all the kids adored.  Although, I have taught Bible Studies and spoken to Ladies Groups, I have never been asked to baptize someone.

 I led choir once and found out the reason the leader was singing all the good part.  As a Sunday School Teacher, I took little kids to the bathroom, wiped noses, and at the same time planted a tiny seed of God’s Word in their heart.  Oh yes, it was very rewarding and there were lots of hugs along with a few kicks in the shin and screams for moms as the door closed.  I have also filled in as an usher but passing the offering plate as an adult just didn’t hold the same allure as in my childhood dreams.  So often, on my knees, I have asked God to use me in this or allow me to do that but today as I prayed a prayer of surrender, the words, “Please just let me be a doorkeeper in your Kingdom” burst forth.  A DOORKEEPER?  REALLY, A DOORKEEPER?

I began to meditate on being a Doorkeeper, what did it mean, what would I be doing?  Can you imagine living in a house without doors?  Your home would be soon overrun with insects, rodents, birds and even a larger animal or two.  Doors not only keep out undesirable critters but they protect us from human intruders who wish us harm or want to take what is yours.  They keep out the cold and snow in the summer and the wind and rain in the summer.  Doors are a necessary structure providing comfort and safety.  Doors also represent freedom, new opportunities or the ending of an opportunity.  We have all heard the expression, “When one door closes another one always opens.”  Now that I have opened your understanding to the importance of doors, what about the Doorkeeper and how can that be important to the Kingdom of God?
The Doorkeeper is the first defense when undesirables try to sneak in through a crack or the storms of life threaten to flood our lives.  The Doorkeeper makes sure the door is securely closed and locked by covering you in prayer, a timely scripture or encouraging word.  When it is time for the door to be open, the Doorkeeper is there holding the door, extending a helping hand and urging you to step out in faith.  When the door has once again been shut on an opportunity, the ever vigilant Doorkeeper is ready, with a sympathetic heart and a loving hug, assuring you that at the right time the door will once again open.

Yes, my prayer today is, Lord, now that I’m all grown up, just let me be a Doorkeeper in your Kingdom.  Help me be ready to offer a prayer and a smile, touch the hurting and encourage the hopeless.  Show me when to open the door and when it should stay shut.  Then I will say along with the Psalmist in Psalms 84:10, “For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.”

1 comment:

InlovewithHim said...

Susan I have loved this scripture for so long but never saw it like this. Now I love it even more! Thank you for being willing to keep the door.