Monday, February 27, 2012

JUST ONE DAY

On Wednesday, February 22, 2012, American journalist, Marie Colvin was murdered in Homs, Syria. After learning of the death of her daughter, Rosemarie Colvin said, “She was supposed to leave Syria” on Wednesday. “Her editor told me he called her yesterday and said it was getting too dangerous and they wanted to take her out. She said she was doing a story and she wanted to finish it and it was important and she would come out on Wednesday.” The grieving mother then added, “SHE WAITED ONE DAY TOO LATE.” I am sure Marie Colvin thought, it won’t make any difference, it’s just one day, but what a difference the 24 hour delay made.

We have all had situations occur when we have said “if only I had done that yesterday,” “if only I hadn’t waited,” or “I didn’t realize yesterday was the deadline.” When we moved to Tennessee, I had to switch my driver’s license from Michigan to Tennessee. They were due to expire on my birthday and we were in the process of moving at the same time. It was also the political season and I wanted to be sure I was able to vote in the upcoming election. My intentions were to register to vote and switch my driver’s license all in one quick trip. I arrived at the Secretary of State office on Tuesday, October 5, four whole days before my license expired; plenty of time. I filled out my voting registration, driver’s license application, had my picture taken, paid my money and asked, “Will I receive my new voter registration card in time for the upcoming election?” The clerk said, “Sorry, yesterday was the deadline to be registered for the November election.” It didn’t matter that I was unaware of the deadline or that I hadn’t bothered to check, there were no exceptions made for being a new state resident or even that the prior day was a holiday and the office was closed. October 4 was the deadline and today was October 5; I had waited one day too late.

Not being able to vote in 2010 was a real aggravation to me but it also made me check things thoroughly, when we moved back to Michigan. I wanted to be sure that I registered in time to vote in the 2012 Michigan primary. Usually missing the deadline is a mere inconvenience and not really as serious as the one Ms. Colvin faced. Like Marie Colvin, however, every one of us has an unknown deadline to meet. We do not know when we will come face to face with the “Last Day.” The appointment will have either of two outcomes; it will be a day, full of joy for which we have prepared or a day of despair because we will have waited one day too late. 2 Corinthians 6:2 tells us, For He says: “In an acceptable time I have heard you, and in the day of salvation I have helped you.” Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. As we reread the verse, in connection with our inevitable deadline, we can understand that the “Day of Salvation” must be today for JUST ONE MORE DAY could be ONE DAY TOO LATE!

No comments: