Wednesday, February 8, 2012

FORGIVENESS OR PERMISSION?

She skipped blissfully into life. A whole new world of adventure awaited her, far removed from the cloistered lifestyle of her childhood. Besides, she was confident that her Mother’s prayers would follow her all the days of her life; they did!  The world was her oyster (Shakespeare);” she embraced it! “Life is too important to be taken seriously (Oscar Wilde);” she laughed! “Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance (anon);” she danced! Her motto became, “It’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission (G. Hopper);” but it wasn’t! There would be plenty of time to consider God when she was old, but there wouldn’t! The morning after the last party never came.

There have been many variations to U.S. Navy Rear Admiral Grace Hopper’s phrase, “It’s easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission,” but they all have the same meaning rooted in self. However it is worded, the speaker is declaring, “I will do it my way without regard to authority.”

It started with Lucifer. He wasn’t satisfied just being the archangel God had created; oh no, he had much more ambitious ideas. Isaiah 14:13-14 records that Lucifer did it his way,


Isaiah 14:13-14“For you have said in your heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also on the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.” 

Of course, it didn’t stop with Lucifer. Satan tells Eve, if you eat of the fruit, “you will not surely die” or to paraphrase, “go ahead, you can ask forgiveness later.” Eve discovered as Lucifer had previously, as Sampson, David, Jonah, Ananias and Sapphira did later along with everyone throughout history who decided to forego permission, there are consequences to “doing it my way.” Lucifer will be cast into the pit, Eve was put out of the Garden, Sampson lost his eyesight and ultimately his life, David lost a child, Jonah ended up in belly of a fish and Ananias and Sapphira paid with their lives for embracing the “Self-philosophy.”

I was introduced to the phrase, “I would rather ask forgiveness than permission,” by an employee under my supervision. It didn’t warm my employer heart just as our willfullness doesn’t warm the heart of God. You see, I was paying for 8 hours of my employee’s time every day. Although, I was always ready to hand out forgiveness for mistakes, I expected my instructions to be followed for the success of the company.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 “Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” 

Acts 20:28 tells us a very high price was paid for you and me; “He purchased with His own blood.” Not only is God our creator but He shed His own blood to redeem us; He has a right to every area of our life and to expect us to ask permission. He desires our success.

Yes we serve a God who is rich in mercy and ready to forgive but forgiveness doesn’t remove the consequences of our actions. How beautiful life can be when we “get permission” or seek the Will of God before we act. God has a life of blessing planned for you, don’t trample it underfoot in your haste to “experience life” and “do it your way.”


The best choice you can make is ASK FORGIVENESS and then LISTEN FOR PERMISSION as God DIRECTS YOUR STEPS!

No comments: