Sunday, February 5, 2012

DINING IN EGYPT

I was swimming downstream, running on level ground, flying high, life was good and I was blessed. Oh sure, there were battles, but God was my champion and we always won. My steps were light and every day I could sing, “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake.” Even the “Valley of the Shadow of Death,” which I had never walked through or even been near, held no fear for me, because God had promised to always be near. “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;” could life get any better? Not only was God supplying my needs and guiding my steps but now He was going to show my enemies how highly He favored me. Mercy and goodness were following me and my cup was definitely filled to the max. Suddenly, out of nowhere, the current changed, my paddle broke, a mountain rose up and the engine died. The enemy was advancing and I felt like a one-woman army. Lord, where was that table you were preparing for me?


The account of Joseph has been used numerous times as an example of the faithfulness of God and the perseverance and patience, on our part, as we wait for the fulfillment of God-given dreams. Joseph was thrown in a pit and sentenced to prison before he was brought to the palace. Finally the dreams God had given him as a young man would come to pass. This wasn’t the way he had pictured it so many years ago. Perhaps Joseph had imagined that he would become a wealthy man in his community, live in a beautiful mansion on a hillside surrounded by friends and family; admired by all. His father, mother, and brothers would all come seeking his advice and benevolence which he would graciously bestow upon them at their humble petition. No, it definitely was not as he had envisioned it. Yes, he was wealthy and lived in a beautiful home but it was not in his beloved homeland. Joseph was far away from his family and friends; alone in “enemy” territory. According to Genesis, Pharaoh promoted Joseph to rule over the kingdom, under him, with the specific task of preparing for the coming famine. During the seven years of plenty, Joseph stored one fifth of the harvest. The years of plenty came to an end and the famine began, as Joseph had foretold in Genesis 41:31, “but after them seven years of famine will arise, and all the plenty will be forgotten in the land of Egypt; and the famine will deplete the land.”

How many times have we been enjoying smooth sailing and abundant blessing, when up pops a storm or a trial that seems to totally erase the memories of the good times from our mind. If we’ve been just cruising through the times of plenty, we may find ourselves hungry with nothing in the storehouse during our famine. If, as Joseph did, we are praying, laboring, glorifying God and storing up during the years of blessing there will be something from which to draw during the lean times. Genesis 41: 53-54 tells us, “Then the seven years of plenty which were in the land of Egypt ended, and the seven years of famine began to come, as Joseph had said. The famine was in all lands, but in all the land of Egypt there was bread.”

One of the striking things about this account of God’s provision is that God did not provide for His people in the Land of Israel; GOD PROVIDED THE BREAD IN EGYPT. He “Prepared a table for His people in the presence of their enemies.” God doesn’t always get us out of the trial or stop the storm to show His faithfulness. Many times He prepares a table and provides bread right in the middle of Egypt. Once again I read Psalms 23 but this time verse 5 takes on a whole new meaning, “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over.” And I realize His goodness and mercy has been following me through the darkness and I am DINING IN EGYPT.

No comments: