Wednesday, May 21, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CALEB


Saturday, we celebrated Caleb’s first year of life with a party. He, of course, did not have that great of time. A First Birthday Party is an opportunity for the parents and grandparents to take a lot of pictures of other children opening his gifts, eating food he cannot yet eat and of course the indignity of trying to eat his very own cake without the help of utensils and managing to smear the frosting in his hair, ears, face and torso. Such was Caleb’s party and we loved every moment which has been captured in movie and still form.

It is hard to believe that we have been blessed with Caleb for a whole year. I have enjoyed spending every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday watching him grow, learn new things and develop into a wonderful little boy. The gummy grin has changed into a smile with 8 shiny teeth and the hungry, wet-diaper wail has developed into loud grunts when told NO and car sounds when playing in the floor. I love the feel of those tiny arms around my neck and hands that pat my back when I pick him up for a quick hug. My morning oatmeal and afternoon snack are no longer my own, now there is a wide-open mouth asking for his share.

There are very few “do-over's” in life. We have successes and failures and move on to the next challenge. Grandparenting is one of those gifts from God that is close to a “do-over.” You have the opportunity to learn from all the mistakes you made with your children and get it right with your grandchildren. I find myself running through the grass, crawling on the floor, making funny faces and noises, discovering birds and flowers all over again and marveling at every new accomplishment. I take more time to be silly, have more patience and tolerate actions for which their parents would have been reprimanded.

Caleb, along with his cousins, Mackenzie and Madison has been a true joy to this Grandma. I am so thankful to be part of his young life, for the things he has taught me and the unconditional love I have experienced once again. Happy Birthday Caleb.

No comments: