Friday, June 9, 2017

CROSSING OVER AND NOT COMING BACK

Joshua 1:2 “Moses, my servant is dead.  Now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, you and all this people, to the land which I am giving them-the Children of Israel.”

The children of Israel had wandered in the wilderness for 40 years.  It had not been an easy life, since leaving Egypt, but God had led them and made provision along the journey.  They had witnessed the awesome miracles; parting of the Red Sea, water from a rock, manna from Heaven and they even had shoes that never wore out; oh the anticipation as they began the preparations for crossing over into the Promised Land. They were all excited, that is except for the tribes of Rueben, Dan and Manasseh.

Numbers 32:5 Therefore they said, if we have found favor in your sight, let this land be given to your servants as a possession.  Do not take us over the Jordan.

Numbers 32 records the leaders of these tribes approaching Moses with a strange request.  It seems that during their journey through the wilderness, they had acquired many sheep and decided that the beautiful land of Jazar and Gilead suited them just fine.  They and their families were tired, everything they required and desired was in this land, it would become their “PROMISED LAND;” why cross over Jordan?  Moses reluctantly agreed that they could settle without crossing over but only if they would go fight with their brothers so that the other tribes could obtain the inheritance that God had promised.

Every time I read this passage, I question, WHY? 

Why would anyone faithfully make the journey and stop short of the Promised Land? 

Why would anyone fight for truth alongside his brothers then say, “it’s yours now, I am tired, I will return to all I have accumulated, rest and enjoy a few of life’s pleasures before I die?”

 Why would anyone settle for less than all of God’s blessings?

 IT HAPPENS!!!  We have fought, we have labored; then just on the banks of crossing over, we hit the wall, tiredness settles in and this side of Jordan doesn’t look so bad.

I believe God has led the Church to the banks of Jordan, the Promised Land is in view and the Priests, with the Ark of the Covenant on their shoulders have already taken that first step into the water.  I can feel the excitement as I find my place.  I want to be as close to the front as I can, behind the priests because I’M CROSSING OVER!!!  My “tambourine” is ready; I have a song on my lips and a dancing in my feet. 
IT’S TIME TO CROSS OVER.

I have been walking, following the cloud.   I have been fighting, holding onto truth.  It is time to cross over into God’s Promise and once I do there will be NO GOING BACK!  Stay on this side of Jordan if you want to; settle for less than God’s best, if you must, but I WANT MY MOUNTAIN!!  The greatest day for the church has arrived, don’t stay on this side of Jordan;


IT’S TIME TO CROSS OVER!!!

No comments: