Monday, April 15, 2013

YOU ASKED ME TO DO THAT?


“You want me to do that?”  “But that won’t change the world.”  “I thought you called me to something great!”  

You won’t hear many people actually verbalize these statements but, BE HONEST, they have run through your mind.  We come out a great prayer meeting, conference or revival with a fresh call of God on our life. The adrenaline is high, we have a vision of greatness; the world isn’t going to know what hit it, then we open the door to reality.  When Naaman, a commander in the Syrian army, opened his “door to reality,” he had a similar reaction and spoke aloud what we have all thought.
2 Kings relates the story of Naaman, a  great and honorable man through whom God had given Syria victory.  Naaman had a wonderful life except for one thing, he had leprosy.  Through an Israelite servant, Naaman heard about the Prophet in Samaria that could heal him of leprosy.  The story continues with the King of Syria sending Naaman with a personal letter to the King of Israel asking him for healing.  Finally, word gets to the Prophet Elisha and Naaman, his horse and chariot arrive at Elisha’s door.
This is where the story becomes quite interesting.  Naaman, who is used to being in control of the situation, arrives with high expectations.  In his mind, Elisha will humbly welcome him and in awe of such greatness, pray, wave his hands and heal him of such a dreadful disease.  Naaman, will then bestow the gold, silver and fine clothing on the Prophet and swiftly return to commanding the Syrian army.  

Elisha not only ignores such greatness but sends his servant to the door with instructions.   Naaman is to go and wash 7 times in the Jordan River.  Naaman is understandably furious at such disrespect and leaves in a rage.  There is only one problem, Naaman is STILL covered with leprosy.  Finally, a servant reasons with him, Naaman obeys and is instantly healed.

 2 Kings 5:13 And his servants came near and spoke to him, and said, “My father, if the prophet had told you to do SOMETHING GREAT, would you not have done it? 

OUCH!!! Do I see myself in this verse!  So many times I have found myself answering the call of God and walking through the open door with visions of grandeur, dreaming of all the wonderful things God is about to accomplish through me.  

I will probably be asked to speak to hundreds of women, I will plan, host and serve the most awesome food at Ladies Meetings that will make the General Superintendent’s wife drool and of course I will accomplish it all  in a designer dress, shoes and handbag. Now I understand that I will have to turn down invitations and of course I will only pick the ones that God impresses on my heart because after all, it is really about souls. 

 I walk through the door, to find, not the hundreds I thought were waiting but a distraught little woman that has just lost her husband.  She isn’t waiting for my words of wisdom.  Oh No!!! God says, “You want to serve, serve her. Cook a meal, serve it to her friends and clean up her kitchen when they are gone.”  


BUT GOD, I WANTED TO DO SOMETHING GREAT!!!!!!!  Maybe next time. 

DOOR #2; “God you want ME to clean that little kid’s snotty nose? It’s clear down to his lip and I forgot the hand sanitizer.”   Well of course, who else in the church always carries fresh tissue in her pocket?  He could use a hug too.  “I know he came on the bus and his clothes aren’t too clean but Susan, if you could only see his future and what I will accomplish through him.  Your tissue, your smile and hug will keep him coming back to church where he will get to know Me.”    

Well at least there is DOOR #3!!! 

“But God, he’s so old and his first words to me were, “I want to die.”  Besides it has to be a 100 degrees in here and he sleeps most of the time.”  Well so much for designer shoes, handbag and changing the world.  “But Susan, you will change HIS world in the short time he has left.  He needs you to pass on a message to his daughter that his pride won’t let him say to her directly.  Not only will she have some much needed down time but her father’s last words about his precious little girl will bring comfort and peace in her grief.”
Namaan finally humbled himself and received the very thing he was seeking. How many times have we closed our hearts to the leading of the Spirit because we were looking to do something great.  If we could only understand how important the cry of ONE hurting soul is to God and how important it is that He has chosen you to be His hands and feet to this dear person.

Mark 10:43, Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you shall be your servant. . 

In the Kingdom of God, true greatness comes through faithfulness and obedience. It isn’t about the GREAT THINGS WE ACCOMPLISH it is all about the GREAT GOD WE SERVE. 

No comments: