Sunday, April 14, 2013

WHY GO TO CHURCH?


Have you ever heard someone make the statements, “Organized religion isn’t for me” or “I don’t have to go to church to be saved?”  We have all probably heard or uttered those phrases at one time in our life.  Well, I have to agree with the first statement.  I would trade organized religion for a relationship with Jesus Christ any day.  Some would say they are not mutually exclusive so why can’t you enjoy both.  I have experienced both and in myself and others, I have observed the more focused you are on organized religion the more distant your relationship with Jesus grows.  The reverse is also true, the closer your relationship with God the less impact organized religion has on your life.  As to the second statement, let me tell you my story.

It had been one of those weeks.  Everything I had read, heard or thought about reminded me of my faults, failures, shortcomings and inadequacies.  Facebook was full of ministry success posts and it seemed that if I stretched the truth, twisted a few details and overlooked all the “restarts,” I might be able to manufacture one small success to share.  I was missing my grandbabies, my kids were all too busy, my siblings had their wonderful lives and even my mom never asked about me.  Years ago, Steve and I had answered the call of God on our lives with visions of hundreds being saved and in general accomplishing “great things.”  Others would treat the call lightly but not us; we were determined to work, commit, let nothing stand in our way of following after God’s will…yet now I had arrived in 2013 and I was tired with no visible fruit in my basket.
Onto the second statement; I didn’t need to go to church this morning to be saved.   I was just as saved when I rolled out of bed this morning as when I stepped into the sanctuary a couple of hours later.  Being discouraged does not equal a loss of salvation but my pity party was overshadowing my ability to encourage myself.    I needed to go to church because God had orchestrated a service, as an expression of His love, just for me.   

Now I have to admit, I couldn’t bear to go to Sunday School and hear the scheduled lesson taught on “Bearing Fruit through Serving,” as I stated previously, I was serving to the point of exhaustion and my basket was empty.  As the worship service began, I recognized God’s handiwork in the selection of music; “How Can I Keep From Praising Your Name” and “Living He Loved Me; Dying He Saved Me.” Healing tears began to flow, washing away the pain; the sermon was directed at me and the time around the altar completed the process but the sweet surprise God had planned for me happened during the offering.  NOTHING exciting happens during offering. Oh Yeah?  We are talking God here and if He chooses to show His love during the offering, who is going to stop Him!!!  During the offering, a sweet lady behind me, leaned forward and said, “I just want to let you know what a blessing you are to me and how happy I am you are here.  It is so encouraging to talk with you; I love your worship and commitment to God.”  
 No, I didn’t need to go to church this morning for salvation, I needed to go to church to love and be loved.   I needed to be reminded of what a great God I serve, who will orchestrate an opportunity to shower His love on me. I needed to enter the sanctuary, filled with Brothers and Sisters, lifting their voices in worship and be assured there is a whole family of God; I am not alone. “I don’t have to go to church to be saved” but it sure makes the journey a whole lot easier and immensely more pleasurable.

No comments: