Monday, April 14, 2008

FORBID THEM NOT

Mark 10:14 But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God

It is so easy to stereotype groups of people; we are all guilty. Sometimes we stereotype according to race, religion, color, gender, size, economic status or social standing. I am learning to really listen to what people say rather than come to surface conclusions.

As many of you know, I conduct Monday morning chapel services at the Saginaw Rescue Mission. It has been a tremendous blessing and eye-opener to this protected, life-long Pentecostal girl. I was sure that everyone staying at the Rescue Mission was either an alcoholic or a drug-addict, with several bags containing all their worldly possessions, wearing many layers of clothing to stay warm and having no knowledge of how God could change their lives. I quickly realized that it was impossible to stereotype the mission’s residents. Sure there were those who struggled with addiction problems, but there were also families who needed a temporary bridge to help them find their bearings, single mothers with children, older citizens from abusive situations, pregnant young women who chose to carry their babies, and men and women from different religious backgrounds and various levels of education. Anyone who would take the time to listen would soon realize that each person had his or her own particular set of problems.

Today I was privileged to meet two precious little girls named Miracle who was 6 and Myangel, a lively 7 year old. They immediately informed me that Jesus had died for their sins and loved them even when they were bad. Myangel let me know that Jesus was a friend to everybody and loved the whole world. I asked if anyone knew the song, “Friend of God.” Both girls excitedly began to sing the chorus. I asked them to come up and help me lead the group as we sang, “I am a friend of God, He calls me friend.” As we prayed the closing prayer, both girls held my hands and asked God to bless everyone, then gave me a big hug.

Their mother asked if she could talk with me at the end of chapel and have special prayer for her specific situation. She told me of her plight and once again we made a circle of agreement as we prayed. When I had finished, Miracle asked if she could pray. I have never heard such a powerful prayer out of the lips of a little 6 year old. She began to present each need to the Lord, prayed for her mother and brothers, for me, the speaker and then presented a request to God that took my breath away. Six year old Miracle asked God for protection when she went outside "so they wouldn’t die, but would live." Then it was Myangel’s turn. As a more mature 7 year-old, Myangel began to plead the Blood of Jesus over her friends and family. She called each one by name and asked that God would cover them with His Blood.

I don’t know what the future holds for these little girls, but I know who holds their future. As long as we know the source of our provision and protection, it doesn’t matter whether we are living in the palace or the rescue mission. Help me pray for Miracle and Myangel that they will grow deeper in their relationship with Jesus Christ, that they will always trust Him and allow God to direct their path.

No comments: