Monday, September 2, 2013

DIGGING A HOLE IN ADOBE


When you move into a pre-owned home, you also acquire most of the fixtures installed and left behind by the sellers; not so in a newly built house.  One of the fixtures we had come to depend on was a mailbox.  Although, we could live forever without “junk” mail and preferred to ignore the bills that usually arrive daily; we understood that Creditors would not accept our mailbox deficiency as an appropriate excuse for late payment.  After a trip to Home Depot, acquiring a beautiful poly mailbox, to match our siding and a hardwood post for an anchor, Steve grabbed the shovel, confident that we would be ready to receive mail within an hour.  There were a few facts, however, that we had forgotten to include in our planning.  The soil was clay, the month was July, the temperature was 90 and there had been no rain for several days….Exactly!!!  He was trying to dig a hole in a giant, baked, adobe brick.  After a couple days of digging, filling the “hole” with water, digging, water, digging, water, digging we were finally ready for the next mail run.
Sunday morning, I heard an awesome sermon entitled, “The Cost of Forgiveness” by Anthony Garcia. God’s timing is perfect and it was of course, exactly what I needed to hear.  I heard that still, small voice whisper instructions to my heart and I couldn’t wait to get home and obey.  Someone had said something on Saturday that cut and on Sunday, I was still hurting.  I knew I needed to address the situation, clean out the wound and stop the bleeding.  After corresponding with the person and making it “right,” I tried to go to the next step outlined in the sermon; I needed to “Grieve and Leave.” 

In his sermon, Anthony talked about acknowledging the hurt, taking time to grieve over it, then bury it and leave; MOVE ON!!!  The first 2 steps were easy!!!  I had no problem acknowledging the hurt; the wound was fresh and raw.  The grief seem to come naturally, I shed a few tears, allowed the anger to spill over, reasoned it all out, over and over and finally got the shovel out to dig a hole.  I hadn’t counted on the hardness of the soil.   After digging a couple of minutes, I laid the hurt to rest and smoothed the soil back into place.  Monday morning, the hurt had somehow pushed back to the surface and I realized the hole had to be deeper and it was going to take a lot more digging, some watering, more digging, watering and digging.  So here I am, on my knees, softening the soil of my heart with tears; handing the shovel back to God, I submit to His digging.
Sometimes we go through life enduring the heat of the day and experiencing a drought in our spirit.  We don’t realize how hard the soil of our heart has become until God hands us a shovel and says, “It’s time to dig.”  You may encounter some stubborn weeds, a few stones and tangled roots deep in the ground, left from previous wounds but keep digging.  Allow God to soften the soil with your tears, dig a little more and soon you will have soft, broken ground ready for seeds of love and forgiveness.

Hosea 10:12 Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the Lord, till he come and rain righteousness upon you.

No comments: