Friday, May 11, 2012

SO I TAUGHT YOU TO TRUST GOD

When you began to walk, I wanted to keep you from falling, I could not so I stood by ready to pick you up, bandage the scrapes and kiss away the tears.  When it was time for you to enter kindergarten, I wanted to protect your young ears and eyes from the influences of an evil world, I could not so I taught you to turn away from evil and toward the beauty of God.  When you joined your friends on the playground, I wanted to protect you from the bullies, the teasing and their hurtful words, I could not so I provided a loving home you could always run to and told you about a “friend that would never leave you or forsake you.”  As you approached adulthood, I wanted to keep you from failing, but I could not, so I taught you to get up and try again, that the mercies of God are new every morning and by never giving up you would achieve success.  As you began to win and life’s success came your way, I wanted to protect you from the pitfalls of pride, I could not so I taught you to be thankful and give all Glory to God.  Now you are a man and I would still like to protect you from the world, but I cannot so I stand by and watch with a prayerful heart as you prepare your children to deal with their own scrapes and bruises.

When I became a mom 37 years ago, I had no concept what an awesome responsibility I had been given.  I knew my babies needed to be fed, clothed and loved and that was where I started.   There were new toys, bicycles and video games, days at the beach, a trip to Disney World, and little league games, but all of the fun times and new toys couldn’t guide my children through the pitfalls life presented. As time continued on and my children grew and we faced new challenges, I realized that the most valuable legacy I could leave them was a solid foundation in God.  I knew I wouldn’t always be present every time there was a temptation, but God would always make a way of escape.  I couldn’t always be within shouting distance but God was just a prayer away.  There would come a day when I would have to let go and watch them fly and my desire was that God would be the “wind beneath their wings.”  As much as I love my children, they had to make their own decisions, sometimes fail and make mistakes and learn to pick themselves up to try again.  Since I could not do it for them, I taught them to trust in God.

I love you Steven and Philip, it is such a blessing and privilege to be your Mom.

No comments: