Tuesday, October 26, 2010

READY AND WAITING

My Grandsons are coming in 2 days. I am so excited and counting down the hours. We have lived in Tennessee for a month and we are ready for visitors. Tennessee is 10 hours south of our 2 grandsons and 16 hours south of our 3 granddaughters. Do I miss them? I refuse to allow myself to think about the distance or I would be in tears half the time. Cell phones are great inventions. For very little cost and at anytime, I can reach out and touch each one. Granted it isn’t as sweet as a hug but hearing their little voices and happy squeals of laughter takes off a little of the sharp edge.


I have been preparing for days. The house is clean, there are fresh linens on the beds, the cupboard is stocked with their favorite foods, special events are planned and I have little surprises set aside for each one; all in anticipation of their arrival. I cannot even imagine the disappointment, if I suddenly receive a phone call saying their travel plans have been cancelled. Or the panic that would change to a deep wound, if they never show on Wednesday evening and call later to say a more important opportunity had presented itself. I’m pretty confident that won’t happen because the grandkids are just as excited as the grandparents.

Are we as excited to visit with our Heavenly Father as He is with us? I wonder how He feels when we get too busy or simply forget to take a little time with Him. My imagination pictures this heavenly scenario: God says to the angels, “A new day has dawned; soon my children will be coming for a little chat. The table is spread with all their favorites; I’ve even included a few new and fresh revelations. I have great plans for them today and some surprise blessings that I just can’t wait to shower down on them. I’m waiting in the throne room, they will be here soon.” The day continues without even a hello. “Surely they will stop in for a few minutes to say goodnight.” The week continues and Sunday dawns. The excitement in Heaven builds; today is a special day, almost like a birthday. “I know they will arrive today.” I can see them now, dressed in their finest clothes, my Book in hand, walking into my earthly houses with joyful smiles, excited to be in My Presence.” Many show up, the music swells and the praise ring forth, but how the heart of God must ache for those who chose something more important.

Just as I long to hold my grandsons, read and sing to them, bless them with gifts and share my plans with them, God longs to have a close relationship with His children. By ignoring Him, you are not only missing out on the blessings but you are passing up His love, peace, direction for your life and all that Heaven has to offer. Many years ago, Jesus went to prepare a place for you, it is almost completed and He is getting ready to take those who have been in close communication with Him to live there. Today would be the perfect time to check in with God, let Him share His heart with you, shower you with everyday blessings and give you the peace and comfort you’ve been missing. How devastated to be too busy with more important opportunities to hear His voice on the very day Heaven was waiting to welcome you home. He is just a prayer away and He is waiting.


No comments: