Sunday, November 25, 2012

IF ONLY MATTHEW COULD HAVE POSTED ON YOUTUBE


Yes, I know the Pastor has studied, prayed and labored over the Sunday sermon. He also has to come up with a catchy title that captures his entire thought in three or four words.  The title is then, proudly displayed on the screen to hopefully focus your thoughts and attention on the truths he is about to deliver.  It works, it really does, that is, until he gets off his notes and says something that gets my mind really working.
 So Pastor Chipman is preaching that we are never alone.  Yep, that was the title, “NEVER ALONE.”  And it was a wonderful, comforting, feel-good, love-you-Jesus message.  After all, Jesus promised to “Never leave us or forsake us,” walk with us through the valleys, guide us through the storm and carry us when we no longer have the strength to follow.  You see, “Never Alone” is a very good title.  Jesus is always there, when we are bad, good, selfish, completely tuned in or unfaithful.  Take Peter, for example, he was far from perfect.  Why, he even denied the Lord; THREE TIMES; even I take a breather in between failings.  Then it happened, Pastor Chipman, I’m assuming, off his notes, said, “Are you sure you would want to be an apostle?  It might be you and your failures we would be reading about.”  My mind began whirring.  I’m sure the sermon was a masterpiece and I’m sure I believe, I’m “Never Alone,” but I’m not sure what other deep, theological truths I missed.
Have you ever thought what it would have been like to have your name mentioned in the Bible?  Most of the time, it just isn’t that flattering!  Even the Heroes of Faith had failures that are displayed in “living color” for all to read throughout eternity.  Ok, let’s look at Peter for example; what a great man of God, martyred for his faith, given the keys to the kingdom, thrown in jail and preached the first message of Pentecost to the Gentiles.  BUT….if you were Peter, how would you feel about everyone, 2,000 years later, knowing all the things you would like to have long forgotten?  Now it wasn’t Peter telling these unflattering malfunction tales on himself.  Oh no, it was his friends and colleagues, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.  Can you imagine the fun they could have had if YouTube had been invented?

PETER SINKS…Here’s Peter getting out of the boat.  He thinks he can walk on water, hahaha.  There he goes, sinking into the water; good thing Jesus was there to save him, hahaha!!!
PETER CALLED SATAN…Jesus tells the disciples that He will be killed and raised again on the third day.  Now watch Peter tell Jesus, “It ain’t gonna happen.”  Listen closely, Jesus turns to Peter and says, “Get behind me Satan; you are an offense to me.” Oh, hahahah, Peter sure did deserve that put down, hahaha!!!

PETER’S FEET WASHED UNDER PROTEST…Jesus brings out a basin and towel and begins to wash the Disciple’s feet.  Peter says, “You’ll never wash my feet.”  Jesus to Peter, “If I don’t wash your feet, you will have no part of me.”  Now here is the best part, Peter says to Jesus, “Then wash my feet, my hands and my head.”  Hahaha, Peter wanted Jesus to wash his head, hahaha!!!
PETER DENIES JESUS… This one has to be the most embarrassing; Peter says to Jesus, “I will never deny you.  Even if I have to die with you, I will not deny you.” (If you listen closely, you will hear all the disciples say the same thing, but this story is about Peter)  Jesus tells Peter “Before the rooster crows you will deny me three times.” The evening continues and along comes a damsel, a maid and others milling around.  As they begin to accuse Peter of being with Jesus, he begins to deny that he even knows Jesus, until finally…we had to bleep that part out; he began to curse and swear.  Listen closely…”Cock-a-doodle-doo.”  Can’t even laugh at this one; how embarrassing!!!

We’ve probably all had “friends” that couldn’t wait to share our “stupidest” moments.  Some of the finer ones have been captured and posted on Face book and YouTube or recounted over and over by the blustering “Life of the Party” friend. You may know about my “open mouth, insert foot” moment or watch my graceful “slip and fall” moment but I am so thankful that my deepest, darkest secrets are known only between me and God.  Actually, God doesn’t even remember them because He has covered the ugliness with His precious blood.  If, like Peter, I continue to get up and keep trying, one day maybe it will be said, “they marveled and took knowledge of her that she had been with Jesus.”  Or, I may actually have the opportunity, like Peter to proclaim, “We ought to obey God rather than men.”  Then again, I really would rather not be threatened with prison or stoning.  The point is, you are “NEVER ALONE!”  Who knows what great thing God is preparing to accomplish through you.  It was big mouth, sinking, stumbling Peter who was given the “Keys to the Kingdom.”

No comments: