Thursday, June 16, 2011

MEMORIES OF DAD

It has been almost 16 years since we said a temporary goodbye to Dad. I think of him often, “hear” his humorous comments as I watch the news, and “see” him in my oldest son, but today I can’t stop the tears.

Dad I miss you. Sometimes our family needs your “no nonsense” wisdom; we need to hear one of your crazy stories once again. I will never forget your arms around me as you told me goodbye the last time we saw you. I think you knew it would be the last time and you hugged me extra tight, hoping the imprint of your arms would always remind me of your love.

So many memories of you flood my mind. As a little girl I loved to watch your hands. You had strong hands with long slender fingers that could build a cabinet, assemble a toy or tenderly button a little girl’s coat. I knew there wasn’t a thing in the world that was too hard for those hands to fix.

You were the one who taught me how to sing. I loved to hear your voice in church and I loved the fact that you would cry every time you sang a solo. I will never forget my favorite song;

Don’t ever take the ribbons from your hair.
Each tiny bow is tied with loving care

You’re pretty as a picture and I love each precious curl

You’re mommy’s little problem, but you’re daddy’s little girl

You’ll never grow too old to wear your bows

They’ll always match your tiny turned up nose

And even when you grow to be like mommy sweet and fair

Don’t ever take the ribbons from your hair.

It has been said that our picture of our Heavenly Father is formed by our Earthly Father. Dad, I learned from you that God is my provider, my protector, and always faithful. Thank you Dad for the lessons in honesty, integrity, and commitment that you modeled for me. Thank you for walking away from the neighbor as he swore at you in front of your family. Thank you for being honest when the cashier gave you too much change. Thank you for standing up for me when the teacher cheated me out of a good grade and thank you for standing with the teacher when I was wrong.

Thank you for loving Steve as a son. It must have been hard to give your 18 year-old first born to another 18-year old teenager who didn’t even have a good job. I remember your teary eyes and how your knees shook as you walked me down the aisle. You knew that you were no longer the most important man in my life but you also knew that no one would ever take the place of my dad. You were so excited when you found out at the age of 42 that you were going to be a grandfather. I had been running up and down stairs with laundry, but a minute later, after you heard the news, you told me that maybe I shouldn’t be running on the stairs. I laughed but it made me feel all warm and fuzzy, as it still does 39 years later. You were so proud of Steven and Phil as they grew and went to college. You would be even more proud of the responsible men they have become.

I would love to see you with your great-grandchildren. Sometimes I close my eyes and imagine you with Mackenzie, Madison, Caleb, Nathan, Anabel, Maicie and Payton. The girls would wrap themselves around your heart. You would love Mackenzie and Madison’s beautiful red hair, brag on how smart Mackenzie is and melt into Madison’s big blue eyes. I can hear you say “hey, big boy” to Caleb and ask him if he hurt the floor when he falls over. Nathan and Anabel’s big smiles and mischievous antics would rate one of your great big laughs. You could never resist the littlest ones, so I know you Maicie would follow your voice and cuddle right up to her Papaw-Great. You would even find a way to communicate with Payton, The worst part of even temporary goodbyes are the things you don’t get to share.

I don’t understand everything about death, but I do understand eternity. Once again Dad, you’ve gone before all of us to pave the way. I am so thankful that you loved the Lord. I’m thankful that you believed in the Blessed Hope, that,” We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.” Dad, I know that it is just a temporary goodbye and I am so thankful that someday soon we will be able to sit down and talk for eternity. For today I’ll just remember your smile, your deep voice and your arms holding me tight as I look up to Heaven and say “Happy Father’s Day.

2 comments:

Bishop T.L. Murdock said...

what a grand picture of a loving father, from great woman of God. You and Pastor Steve have been such a blessing to the sister Dori and me. Thank you for all your prayer and kindness. I so felt the love and respect you have for your dad and the legacy He has left you and your family, but not just a legacy for you and your family only, but a testimony that says to all of us I did it right and so can you, just keep holding on to Jesus and I'll see you in the rapture.
Sister Susan Thanks for sharing
Bishop T.L. Murdock

Connie Schmoll said...

That was so beautiful, Susan. Thanks for sharing.