Thursday, September 2, 2010

DOES A TITLE DEFINE ME?

What is a title? According to Merriam/Webster, one of the definitions is a descriptive name. A title is a word used to describe your current station in life. Titles begin to evolve in your life from birth. Some are lifelong banners, while others are appropriate only for a short time. I began life with the titles daughter, sister, granddaughter, niece, and cousin. As I grew so did my title list. Over the years, student, wife, daughter-in-law, sister-in-law, mother, aunt and grandmother were added to my resume. The most precious title associated with my name is Redeemed, Spirit-Filled, Child of God. Do these titles define me? I certainly hope so; they are the story of my life.

Every title defines a small piece of the puzzle, when viewed as a whole portrays Susan. They identify all the relationships I have with people who are so precious in my life. I have known women who refused to take their husbands last name or be known as MRS. I love that title; it tells a beautiful story of love and commitment from two different people whom God made one. Mother and Grandmother are two other titles that I cherish. Those titles are a continuation of the love story that began when I became a wife. At 9 years old, I decided to follow Jesus, since then, I have happily embraced every title along the way as a blessing from God.

I was involved recently in a conversation regarding the title, “Pastor’s Wife” vs. “Co-Pastor” vs. “Lady Minister.” Each side had a valid point as to which was the desired title. When I came to the place of surrender where the title was not as important as serving God every day in any capacity, doors began to open miraculously and great things began to happen in my world. I have recently become a “Pastor’s Wife.” I love it! Why? Maybe, because I am married to the greatest, most humble, absolutely wonderful Pastor/Preacher in the universe. Maybe, because this Man of God rejoices in all the things God calls me to do and encourages me to seek God’s will for my life. Maybe because my husband pastors a church filled with precious People of God. Maybe, because, “Pastor’s Wife,” defines exactly the position in which God has placed me.

Does a title define me? Only if I allow myself to become everything the title describes. Choose the titles wisely that you allow to be associated with your life. If a title has been placed around your neck that you prefer was not there, refuse to live by its definition, soon it will fall by the wayside and be forgotten. Every day you may gain and lose various titles, make sure you add “Redeemed, Spirit-Filled Child of God” to your life, live up to its definition and never let it go.

No comments: