Friday, June 25, 2010

BIG HAIR & WHISPERED PRAYER



Have you ever gone shopping with someone and become separated? You are standing right beside them, looking at the same merchandise, when suddenly, they disappear. In a big department store, you could lose someone for days. You go down one aisle as they are going up another aisle or you happen to be rounding the end of an aisle at the exact time they pass the aisle in which you were just standing. It really could go on forever. What do you do? If you are lost, whether in a department store or a forest, the best course of action is JUST STAND STILL!!!

As a little girl, it was always an exciting adventure to go “to town” with Mom. Shopping was a much more focused decision. There was no wandering down wide, air-conditioned corridors, stopping in a store you wouldn’t ordinarily frequent to check out the clearance rack, grabbing a bite to eat in the food court before moving on to the store you really came to shop at in the first place. “Town” consisted of stand-alone stores and strip malls and going to “town” usually referred to Sears or JC Penney’s. I still remember the smell of freshly popped corn as we entered Sears. A strategically placed counter filled with chocolate delights, candy corn and circus peanuts beckoned to shoppers as they entered the store and tempted them as they exited. Sometimes we would get a 1/4 pound of our favorite candy for the ride back home.

Sears was full of distractions for a curious little girl. There were racks of colorful clothing, mannequins to hide behind and make faces at, and ladies with blue hair stopping to admire a mother brave enough to go shopping with such a large brood. In the midst of all the distractions, I would suddenly realize that Mom had moved on without me. I’m sure she was just behind a rack of clothing or down a different aisle, but it can be very stressful to a child when there are no familiar faces in view. The first few times a panicked cry of “MOM” rang out through the department until she suddenly appeared assuring us she had never been very far away. As we grew older and realized she would never leave us alone, the panic faded and we drifted a little further into departments that were much more interesting. After a short while, the insecurity would set in and we would begin to look for Mom.

Over the years I learned a little trick that worked every time. It was the 1960’s and my mother had BIG HAIR. If I only looked up over my circumstance, I could find her moving in the distance among the racks. I would walk toward the “moving hair” and soon be in her presence. There were times, however, that the merchandise was piled too high. No matter how high I looked, I could not spot the hair. I would get very quiet and listen intently. My mother took the verse that says, “Pray without ceasing,” literally. She had a whispered prayer on her lips as she cleaned the house, cooked the meals and yes, even as she shopped. When all my searching techniques failed, I would listen for that familiar whisper, “Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!” As I moved toward the still, small voice, I felt a calming peace; Mom was just around the corner. Looking back, it has become just a fond memory. If I get separated in the mall from loved ones today, I call their cell phone and ask them where they are and where we can meet. The need for big hair and whispered prayer has become obsolete.

There have been times I have allowed the distractions of life to overwhelm me. I look around for God and realize He isn’t beside me anymore. I’ve drifted away and I’m lost among the racks of responsibilities and troubles. If I can only look up; above my circumstance, often times I spot Jesus moving in the distance. Keeping my eyes on Him, once again I draw near and soon I am in His loving presence. But what about the times when I can barely lift my head, let alone see over the problems that have surrounded me? That is when I go to PLAN B; stand still and listen. I get away from the clutter and noise, close my eyes and let that still, small voice begin to speak. As I draw near to God the voice becomes a little louder and clearer until once again, He is holding my hand and directing my path.

If you have become a bit distracted and life is too confusing, give my solution a try. First, lift your head and LOOK UP. If you still can’t catch a glimpse of the Savior, LISTEN. His voice is never stilled; we just have a difficult time getting through the interference to the right frequency. He hasn’t moved He is right where you left Him. God has been patiently waiting to speak peace to your heart.

2 comments:

Misha said...

Love it! That is EXACTLY how I remember you mom! I miss her warmth and love. ツ

Linda said...

Sis susan I liked this it reminded me of my own childhood and going with my mom. Keep writing sister you are so uplifting to me God bless you.